Oceanview Church currently has an opening for a Traditional Accompanist-Organist.
Our current search is focused on someone able to support our weekly Traditional worship experiences through excellent piano and organ skills. This person would serve approximately 15-20 hours per week, inclusive of Sunday responsibilities (1 to 1.5 hours). To apply, please include letter of introduction, resume, references to: email@example.com
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The Traditional Accompanist-Organist plays a vital role in traditional worship by accompanying the Celebration Choir, soloists, ensembles, etc. with either piano or organ. He or she also provides the Traditional service music on Sundays. Other duties include:
- Be prepared for worship services, rehearsals and meetings.
- Help execute Sunday services, special services, the Easter Sunrise service, Lent Observances, Christmas Eve services, etc.
- Select and play instrumental service music for each service.
- Check and update Planning Center for music.
- Establish and foster exemplary relationships with staff/non-staff workers, church members and the community at large.
- Work closely with the Director of Traditional Music.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Solid musicianship skills on Piano, playing from musical scores, choir octavos, praise charts, etc.
- Excellent Organ skills preferred. Ideally using the church’s pipe organ for service music where appropriate.
- Excellent knowledge of music theory.
- Ability to play in many different styles: Jazz, Pop, Sacred, Classical, etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- A team player – able to work alongside the Music Directors.
- Ability to handle change: Adjusts to changes mid-service, or in tasks or environment – adaptable.
- Education/Training: Bachelor’s Degree in music, a related field or equivalent experience preferred.
- Excellent administrative, organizational and communication skills.
- Should be highly self-motivated and creative.
- Experience in providing church service music a must.
- Experience in accompanying choirs, soloists also a must.
- Familiarity with United Methodist hymnody is desired.
NOTE: A background check is required for this position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
A complete Job Description is available upon request.
JOB TYPE: Part-time (Non-exempt), approximately 15-20 hours per week, holidays.
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in music, a related field or equivalent experience preferred.
REPORTS TO: Director of Traditional Music
SALARY: $15,000 per year
DENOMINATION: United Methodist
CHURCH SIZE: 100-300
WORSHIP STYLE: BLENDED TRADITIONAL AND BLENDED CONTEMPORARY
ZIP CODE: 33408
OCEANVIEW UNITED METHODIST CHURCH is a small, United Methodist church of approximately 100-300 people in Juno Beach, Florida. Oceanview currently conducts two services each Sunday. The 9:00 am service follows a more contemporary format and the 11:00 am service is traditional, choir led. A key role of the incoming Director of Traditional Music will be that of, along with the Pastors, the Director of Praise and Worship, and the Worship Design Teams, evaluating our current worship services and creating and executing against a vision for the future of worship at Oceanview. The church is committed to creating a relevant, spiritually vibrant worship experience in a very diverse, seasonal congregation.